August is a quiet month in Lisbon. Many inhabitants go on holidays and streets are empty of people and traffic (which is actually much better to appreciate the city details!). Make the most of this month to enjoy belvederes and esplanades or take a car and drive about 20 km to any of the beaches around Lisbon. Here’s what you can do in the city and surroundings in the classic dolce far niente month:
– Jazz in Agosto – in Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation open air amphitheater;
– Fantin-Latour versus Manuel Botelho exhibition at Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation;
– Medeiros de Almeida Collection – designated by The Guardian, in May 2015, as one of the world’s best private collections;
– Golf in Estoril – there are 7 excellent golf courses;
– Antiques Fair – every Wednesday at Visconde da Luz garden in Cascais;
– Lx Factory and its boho market every Sunday;
– A horse-drawn cart ride in Belém followed by a visit to the recently opened National Carriage Museum.